Definition: (from Dictionary.com) “A figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance”.
- His hand on my shoulder is a frigid icicle.
- The house was hot furnace.
- The sand is a blanket underneath me.
- The wildflowers are a color wheel.
- The stain was an annoying fly; always around and refusing to go away.
As you can tell by these examples, pictures are created within the readers mind that heightens their reading experience. They pull the reader into the story.